Whilst the original palace was given to Edward II in 1305 by the Bishop of Durham, and used as a royal residence from the 14th to the 16th century, Eltham Palace is better known now for it’s most recent owners part of the Courtauld textile family.
In 1933, Stephen Courtauld and his wife Virginia Courtauld acquired the lease of the palace site and restored the Great Hall. They also did some modernising by building an elaborate new home which they decorated internally in the Art Deco style. The dramatic Entrance Hall was created by the Swedish designer Rolf Engströmer.
All a sharp contrast to the medieval hall.
The palace and its garden are open to the public and can be hired for weddings and other functions.