Thinking back to when Du Cane Court was being built in 1935 it’s hard to imagine what it was like to promote living in Balham at the time and what else was happening in the world. Historical news events from 1935 included significant developments in politics, science, technology, and entertainment.
Some of the notable events from that year include:
- The signing of the Neutrality Act in the United States, which aimed to keep the country out of foreign conflicts.
- The dust storms and severe drought known as the “Dust Bowl” in the Great Plains of the United States.
- The Italian invasion of Ethiopia, leading to the Second Italo-Ethiopian War and Ethiopia’s subsequent occupation by Italy.
- The founding of Alcoholics Anonymous (AA) in Ohio, USA.
- The introduction of the first parking meters in Oklahoma City, USA.
- Amelia Earhart’s solo flight from Hawaii to California, becoming the first person to fly solo across the Pacific Ocean.
- The publication of George Orwell’s novel “Burmese Days.”
- The first successful demonstration of a monoplane fitted with a retractable undercarriage by R.J. Mitchell in the UK.
- The release of the film “Mutiny on the Bounty,” based on the historical mutiny on the HMS Bounty.
- The discovery of the comet named after astronomer Carl Wirtanen.